Fiscal and Operations Group
Optional Networking Dinner
Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:00-8:00 pm
Tipsy Cow East
2816 Prairie Lakes Dr Suite 107, Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Winter Face-to-Face Meeting
Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:00-3:15 pm
5202 Eastpark Blvd, Suite 109, Madison, WI
Hotel Reservations: We do not have a block of rooms reserved. We do have group rates with these 2 hotels.
- Staybridge Suites Madison - Mention WPHCA - Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association, $110 - 608-241-2300
- LaQuinta - Mention promo code - WPHCA1 - $85 - 608-245-0123
Overall Meeting Objectives:
- Leverage the collective knowledge of the group to accelerate Health Center improvements in Health Center financial operations, systems including financial policies and procedures, and standard operating practices
- Increase understanding and awareness of Wisconsin Medicaid’s FQHC reimbursement mechanisms-change in scope and encounter reconciliations
- Develop an understanding of reporting methods, key performance indicators that other Health Centers are using to monitor operational and fiscal health
- Strengthen relationships/networks among Health Center staff and gain strategic ideas and tactical skills to use on the job
9:00-9:30 Welcome & Introductions
9:30-10:30 Medicaid Updates & Technical Assistance
In October, Medicaid sent Health Centers results from the first Medicaid encounter reconciliation process for encounters and revenues that were self-reported via monthly interim reports. Reconciliations for 2018-2019 fiscal years will be rolling out early in 2020. Beyond reconciliation, DHS, TABS (Brandon Watson, Phyo Aung, Loren Wilde, and team) are working on disseminating publications documenting PPS policy, and will be forming work groups to explore how Health Centers might begin providing various Comprehensive Community Services, historically provided through counties. Members of the DHS team will be in attendance to update Health Center staff on PPS transition process and Medicaid priorities for 2020.
Key Discussion Questions:
- What questions about PPS reconciliation, transition, of Medicaid priorities do Health Center teams have?
10:45-12:00 Shifting Business Models to PPS, Lessons Learned, Opportunities & Medicaid Advocacy Strategy
This session will provide participants with an opportunity to connect on topics that range from sharing intelligence/collaborative problem solving related to change in scope conversations currently in the process with Medicaid; strategies that Health Centers are testing or deploying to adapt their business models to assure sustainability of operations under PPS; and staff will solicit input and feedback on Medicaid reimbursement advocacy strategies related to currently unreimbursed services.
Key Discussion Questions:
- What factors are you considering/studying/analyzing as you are thinking through Health Center sustainability and growth in a PPS environment?
- What questions about PPS and/or change in scope would you like to pose to your colleagues?
- What feedback do you have related to WPHCA’s next steps in soliciting clarifications from Medicaid on key services (eg. telehealth, SBIRT, behavioral health, substance use disorder treatment, etc).
12:00-12:45 Lunch & Presentation by WPHCA’s Winter FOG Meeting Sponsor
Nonstop Wellness is a health insurance program designed exclusively for nonprofits with more than 50 employees.
12:45-1:15 Outstationed Eligibility/Outreach & Enrollment Opportunities & Expanding Sustainable Models
Medicaid shared their interest in Health Centers considering expansion outstationing/outreach & enrollment activities at the January 2020 WPHCA Board meeting. Partnership
1:15-2:00 Share & Tell: Board & Management Reporting, Financial KPIs & Core Metrics
Health Centers are continuously evolving their data & reporting capacity and translating that capacity into information that can be shared with Health Center Boards, their management teams & staff to drive financial and operational decisions.
Please come prepared to share examples of board and management reports that you like, that you hate and that you’d like to get feedback from your colleagues on.
Key Discussion Questions:
- What board and management reports are your currently utilizing in your organizations?
- What do you, your team/boss/board like about them?
- What data would your ideal state board report include that you’ve not been able to include efficiently?
- How are you integrating comparison/benchmarking data into your reporting processes?
2:00-3:15 Mentor for A Moment Speed Dating Style
WPHCA’s FOG has a cohort of longstanding members within its membership who have a wealth of financial knowledge, operational insight and experience. Over the past year, several new Finance leaders have come onboard and will be joining our FOG meeting for the first or second time. This session will be designed to get participants up, moving around, and engaging in candid conversations between members.
3:15-3:30 Next Steps, Evaluation, & Wrap Up
Save The Date for 2020 FOG Meetings:
- Thursday, November 12, 2020
- Thursday, February 18, 2021
Registered participants may substitute another participant at no charge up to the day of the conference. Please inform WPHCA staff Lindsey Hess (email@example.com) of the substitution as soon as possible to coordinate meals and participant materials. Participants may cancel at no charge up to 7 days before the event begins. No refunds are available for cancellations 6 days or fewer before the event begins.