Operations Leaders Peer Learning Network Face to Face Meeting
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association
5202 Eastpark Blvd, Suite 109, Madison, WI 53718
*$25 REGISTRATION FEE REQUIRED*
We do not have a block of rooms reserved. We do have group rates with these 2 hotels.
- Staybridge Suites Madison - Mention WPHCA - Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association, $110 - 608-241-2300
- LaQuinta - Mention promo code - WPHCA1 - $85 - 608-245-0123
Goal of Operations Network:
The goal of this peer learning network is to provide a venue in which operations leaders at community health centers in Wisconsin are able to collaborate, learn from each other and share best practices. The network will strengthen relationships and networks as well as leverage the collective knowledge to spread strategic ideas and enhance skills.
- Leverage the collective knowledge of the group to accelerate Health Center work related to improving the quality of Health Center operations.
- Strengthen relationships/networks among Health Center staff.
- Gain strategic ideas and tactical skills to use on the job.
8:30 – 9:00 Networking
As you come in, grab a snack and use the available post it notes and markers to write down what you want to get out of today. Use one post-it note per idea.
9:00 – 9:30 Introductions: Who are we and why are we here?
Names, roles, etc.
What do you want to get out of today?
Establish and clarify ground rules
9:30 – 10:30 Optimizing patient flow and efficiency
Patient flow is an area that continuously surfaces as an area of opportunity for improvement. We will use this time for some interactive sharing with each other about our individual Health Center patient flow – what works, what doesn’t and how we are working to improve it.
Key Discussion Questions
- What works well about your patient flow?
- What would you like to see change about your patient flow?
- What variations do you see in patient flow across your organization? By provider? By location? By role?
- How do you measure the success of your patient flow?
- What have you tried to improve patient flow?
10:45 – 11:45 Show and Tell - Schedules
Before the meeting, Kay asked you to bring or send a [no PHI] version of your dental and medical schedules to share. We will all talk through how we approach scheduling and the pros and cons we have with how our schedules are designed. We can build off of our conversation on patient flow to understand how that helps or hinders our ability to stay on schedule.
Key Discussion Questions
- How have your schedules changed (or not) over the last several years? What has driven those changes?
- Who has the ability to change or modify schedules, like blocking appointments or taking more or less time for an appointment?
- What are the different appointment types you have and what sort of variations do you have between providers?
- What data do you follow to understand the effectiveness of your patient schedules?
11:45 – 12:15 Collecting and managing Social Determinants of Health
Jenny Wensink, Medical Program Manager at Lakeshore, will join us remotely to share their experience with collecting and tracking data using the PRAPARE tool, including how it is integrated into their flow, lessons they are learning and next steps.
12:15 – 12:45 Lunch
12:45 – 1:30 Quality Improvement in Operations
Kay will share insights from a recent trip to a training at Virginia Mason Medical Center where they used QI tools to improve patient flow. She will share (and demonstrate, as time allows) exercises and tools on continuous flow, standard work, skills maps, reducing waste and more! We can discuss how these might be helpful concepts in our Health Centers and how you use QI in operations.
1:30- 2:00 Effective Huddles
Huddles have been a tool used to enhance team-based care for many years and they have evolved over that time as teams have learned what is value-added. Let’s take a little time to share how we are seeing this tool evolve in our Health Center team.
2:00 – 2:45 Mentor for a Moment
Open discussion and questions you have for your colleagues. We’ll make sure to address the areas you wanted to cover.
2:45– 3:00 Evaluation and Next steps
- What worked well about today? What would you improve?
- What would you like to cover on our next call? What would you like to see us discuss over the next year?
- Please complete your evaluations
Registered participants may substitute another participant at no charge up to the day of the conference. Please inform WPHCA staff Lindsey Hess (email@example.com) of the substitution as soon as possible to coordinate meals and participant materials. Participants may cancel at no charge up to 7 days before the event begins. No refunds are available for cancellations 6 days or fewer before the event begins.