WPHCA 2018 ADVOCACY DAY
February 20-21, 2018
The Madison Concourse Hotel
One West Dayton St, Madison, WI 53703
Registration Fee: $50
Hotel: We have a block of guestrooms reserved at The Madison Concourse Hotel with a room rate of $159. Call 800-356-8293 and reference Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association-Advocacy Day. The reservation cut-off day is January 30, 2018.
2018 Advocacy Day Agenda
Tuesday, February 20th: 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm
Legislative Reception: 5-7 pm
Wednesday, February 21st: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Madison Concourse Hotel, 1 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703
$50 REGISTRATION FEE REQUIRED
Overall Meeting Objectives:
- Understand key policy issues and political landscape affecting Health Centers and your role as an Advocate
- Strengthen relationships/networks among Health Center staff and State Legislative offices
- Gain strategic ideas and advocacy skills to apply at your Health Center
Tuesday, February 20th
2:00 pm – 2:15 pm
Introductions and Review
2:15 pm – 3:15 pm
Policy Deep Dive: Medicaid and Welfare Reform
Lisa Olson and Sashi Gregory, WPHCA
- Medicaid 1115 Waivers: Work Requirements and other Proposals
- Welfare Reform Proposals
3:15 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Implementing 27-9-3: Learn and Practice for Advocacy Day
Health Centers and WPHCA Government Relations Team
- Learn to use the 27-9-3 method for putting together a short but persuasive message to your state legislators
- Use 27-9-3 to craft your message(s) for Advocacy Day
- Present and Practice your messaging
4:30 pm – 5:00 pm
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Legislative Reception
Wednesday, February 21
8:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
- Breakfast and beverages will be served
- Review agenda, materials and outcomes desired from today
8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Legislative perspective: behind the scenes
9:45 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
The Political Environment Facing Health Centers
Tony Langenohl, Capitol Consultants
• Current legislative landscape
• 2018 elections and how they impact CHCs
• Current priorities, and where CHCs fit in
• What has changed since 2017 and what have we learned over the past year
11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Health Center Advocate Panel: Best Practices and Implementing 27-9-3 Messaging
WI Health Centers
- Keys to a successful relationship building with Legislators
- 27-9-3 Messaging
- Q and A
- CHC teams meet together to:
- Review roles
- Review talking points and leave behind materials
- Practice together as a team
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Advocacy Day Review
- Advocacy Do’s and Don'ts
- Q and A
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Lunch & Keynote
1:00 p.m. Depart for Capitol and Group photo in Capitol rotunda
1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Legislative meetings at State Capitol
Registered participants may substitute another participant at no charge up to the day of the conference. Please inform WPHCA staff (email@example.com) of the substitution as soon as possible to coordinate meals and participant materials. Participants may cancel at no charge up to 7 days before the event begins. No refunds are available for cancellations 6 days or fewer before the event begins.