Fiscal and Operations Group
Spring Face-to-Face Meeting
Thursday, May 25 2017
9:00 am -3:00 pm
Scenic Bluffs Community Health Center, 238 Front Street, Cashton WI 54619
$25 Registration Required
Overall Meeting Objectives:
- Leverage the collective knowledge of the group to accelerate Health Center work related to improving the quality of Health Center fiscal and operations
- Strengthen relationships/networks among Health Center staff
- Gain strategic ideas and tactical skills to use on the job
9:00 – 9:45 Welcome, HRSA, State & Federal Policy Updates
This is a standing agenda item that supports WPHCA and CHC intelligence sharing about state and federal policy environment that have potential implications for CHCs. Topics for sharing often include:
- Recently released PINs/PALs and
- HRSA announcements and/or intelligence regarding operational site visits
- Other state and federal regulatory changes and/or initiatives
10:00-10:45 Behavioral Health Integration-Screening, Brief Intervention & Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)
As Health Centers continue to develop, integrate and expand their behavioral health and substance use disorder services, SBIRT provides an opportunity to universally screen existing patients for alcohol and other drug use and provide brief interventions for patients at risk for substance use disorder. Lakeshore Community Health Center has implemented universal SBIRT screening and is currently billing for SBIRT services provided by an MSW case manager. Kristin Stearns, CEO will join to share work flows, billing resources and respond to participants’ questions.
Key Discussion Questions:
- What Health Center staff, if any, are currently providing SBIRT services?
- What has been your experience with billing for SBIRT services?
- For Health Centers that have not yet integrated SBIRT services into your practices and/or billing practices, what questions do you have?
10:45-11:45 FQHC Pharmacy Reimbursements-Finance & Pharmacy
- What other strategies are you exploring regarding behavioral health/substance use disorder service integration and expansion?
With the concurrent changes in FQHC reimbursement-transition to the prospective payment system, outpatient drug reimbursement, and the draft 340B Mega Guidance, lots of questions have been identified in the last year related to FQHC pharmacy reimbursement. Despite WPHCA staff attempts to navigate the changes and engage DHS in providing training, there is still confusion, frustration and problems. Two Health Centers, one with a contracted pharmacy and one with an in-house pharmacy will discuss issues and questions experienced during the recent transitions.
Key Discussion Questions:
- What is the current status of your Health Centers’ finance and pharmacy team member communication and collaboration?
- What issues/clarifications were identified and/or remain as a result of the PPS transition process?
- What issues/clarifications were identified and/or remain as a result of the outpatient drug reimbursement transition on April 1, 2017?
- What training/technical assistance needs does your Health Center finance and pharmacy staff want, need, desire?
11:45-12:30 Lunch & Health Center Tour
12:30-1:15 Finance & Operations Performance Improvement: Current & Future State & Invitation to Participate in WPHCA’s Performance Excellence/QI Efforts
Since 2009 when 5 Health Centers engaged in Fiscal and Operations Performance Improvement Group (FOPIG) transparent financial and operational data sharing and conversations, WPHCA has been facilitating various levels of Fiscal and Operations QI transparent data sharing. Core Metrics has continued to evolve since 2011-12 and as more Health Centers (currently 9) are on-boarded to Azara DRVS, WPHCA’s Performance Excellence Committee is contemplating the future of Core Metrics and exploring what finance QI looks like in the future.
Key Discussion Questions:
- Which Health Centers are currently involved in Core Metrics and Azara DRVS?
- How are the various tools being used to inform Health Center finance and operational performance improvement?
- What future capacity would be beneficial (eg. for CHCs on DRVS, for CHCs that don’t go live on DRVS)?
- How should this capacity be funded? Supported?
Who, from FOG, might be interested in informing WPHCA’s performance improvement work through participation in the Performance Excellence Committee?
1:15-2:30 Finance & Operations Hot Topics & Mentor for a Moment
As FOG continues to engage a more diverse group of Health Center staff, ranging from Finance Directors/CFOs, Administrative Operations leaders, revenue cycle staff, and others, this time will provide an opportunity to break out into small groups to discuss topics of interest to cohorts of staff (if desired) or maintain a large group open discussion format to exchange ideas and inspirations or engage in group problem solving.
2:30-3:00 Wrap Up, Evaluation, and a Look to WPHCA’s 2017 T/TA Calendar
- Medicare Advantage & PPS Wrap Webinar
- Senior Leaders Strategy Session-CHC Primary Care Integration,
- Fall Learning Session, September 13-14, 2017 Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells
- Now accepting 2017 Performance Excellence Awards due August 1, 2017. Find more information here
Registered participants may substitute another participant at no charge up to the day of the conference. Please inform WPHCA staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the substitution as soon as possible to coordinate meals and participant materials. Participants may cancel at no charge up to 7 days before the event begins. No refunds are available for cancellations 6 days or fewer before the event begins.